Crowns & Bridges9:02 pm James DeFinnis
A dental crown may be needed when at least one of the following occurs:
• To protect a weak tooth from breaking or to hold together parts of a cracked tooth
• To restore an already broken tooth or a tooth that has been severely worn down
• To cover and support a tooth with a large filling when there isn’t a lot of tooth left
• To hold a dental bridge in place
• To cover misshaped or severely discolored teeth
• To cover a dental implant
Fixed bridges are used to replace one or more missing teeth they literally bridge the gap left by missing teeth. Fixed bridges cannot be taken out of your mouth as you might do with removable partial dentures. Bridges are used to improve the look and function of the teeth.
When a tooth is missing there is always a chance that the surrounding teeth:
•Will naturally shift to fill the empty space
•There is also a chance that decay may occur in the surrounding teeth
•speech impediments may occur
Thankfully, dental bridges can help prevent these problems by filling in the vacant space that is left when there is a missing tooth.